Friday, February 15, 2019

Unexpected Growth

Briana 
Major: Social Work 

Before I attended college, I would always ask myself what it would be like if I went to a predominately white institution. Thinking about how different it would be, whether the people at my school would like me and if racism was an ordeal I would be forced to face. Being an African American woman, a Haitian woman at that, made it difficult for me to get adjusted. I am the first person in my family to go to a university , so all the pressure was, and still is on me. I enjoy my college, it brought out the maturity in me and that is something I admire about myself. I attended a summer program at my university and my first roommate was Caucasian. At first it was weird because she kept to herself and would go home every weekend, leaving barely any time for us to talk. Towards the last few weeks of the program, we became close and have since kept in touch. Honestly, I never would have thought that I would have a caucasian friend.  
But, not all my years in Bloomsburg have the same happy ending. It was shortly after I  began the semester as a freshman that I experienced my first account of racism. My girls and I were walking back on campus after going to party, when a car with two Caucasian women yelled out the “N” word.  Knowing how me and my girls are and having Haitian blood in us, we in return yelled back while they were driving off. No lie, I was scared after that because I was afraid that I could become another victim being in a predominately white town. Growing up I recall the stories my mother brought home after working on the outskirts of Pennsylvania. The racist remarks, the unapproving glares and over what, pigmentation. My mother’s reality was surreal, it wasn’t until I too experienced this form of hate that something in me broke.My vision felt clouded, my body was hot. How was it that in the 21st century where laws have been set in place that this is still an issue amongst our society. Yes I was ANGRY and you’re damn right I was ready to fight. But a physical altercation was well beyond the means it would take to alter such an issue. What if I was alone, what if they were a group of men instead of women that pulled up that night.. That sense of uncertainty was the very fuel that has gassed me to where I am today.
I did not want for another person to have to go through what I did. So, it was time to start local, by raising  awareness amongst our campus and student body, I decided to join clubs and organization to talk about what happens on a daily, for and to black people.  I joined many organizations like the Black Cultural Society, Vice Versa, C.U.F.F.E.D., and many more. Joining these organizations made me happy and brought me a certain comfort in knowing that I wasn’t going to be in this place for four years alone.I had people I could grow with while continuing my studies. To join the clubs and organizations at my University was easy. All I had to do was go to meetings and ask to join the board or be a part of the club.  Overall, this experience taught me to always raise my head high and that anything is possible. I am much wiser and understanding. I realize that people aren’t as cultured as I am, so I must always stay aware with what goes on in my surroundings because the real world can become dangerous relatively quick.

















No comments:

Post a Comment