Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Ceraunophilia

Shirmina: "Artivist" and Doula-in-Training

The sky opens its mouth to curse at me
And i feel at home
The clouds cry a song wet and heavy
And i sing
The air flashes it's teeth
Bright and brief
And i offer stillness
I sit by the window
Captivated by the chaos
Just this night alone,
It calls out to me a thousand times
And I blush at how well an uproar knows my name
Ceraunophilia is the fascination with thunderstorms
I swallowed one once
And have been in love with them ever since
I was born a dew drop
Quiet and undemanding
The ghost of a cry
The chip on the shoulder of a rainstorm
I was born so soft you’d have no idea i came from wreckage
petals so delicate, you’d have no idea a monsoon fed me
But as a black woman
With a family full of black women
Anger and violence blowing thru our limbs
We cover ourselves in tribulations
To teach our skin the touch of a tornado
On the sunniest of days
I YouTube tropical rainstorm sounds to soothe my anxiety
How ironic
To use a storm against another
But i never knew any better
When the eyes of every hurricane look like my mothers
When my dad cracked like lightning
And disappeared like it too
When my aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins
All have tempers like tempests
How can i not love a storm?
It is what both fed and burned my family tree
I am fueled by hot wind and clap-backs
Intoxicated by things shaken and stirred
I don’t understand the comfort of calm
Seems untrustworthy to me
Like it got something to say
Mother nature taught me how to roll a storm off my tongue
So i’m always raining
Always rumbling
Cursed and coarse
I am most myself when i’m angry
I look most like my mother when i’m yelling
And when she died
I inherited her rage
And carried it in my jaw
A bloodline of belligerence
Siphoned thru me like a cyclone
All our mouths are storms at sea
Our tongues
Bolts of lightning that strike the same place on the regular
We don’t mean to be like this
In a perpetual state of pissed the fuck off
Raining on parades
Thundering
But i don’t remember who i am without all this uproar
I tried to cry out all this rainfall
I tried to shout the storm out of my throat
My anxiety shakes the sky so hard
The night falls to my feet
My rage dances in black and steps on all the stars
I am so exhausted of bad weather
I just wanna get to the rainbow

No comments:

Post a Comment